1/3 Photos of Roast Chicken With Rosemary-Orange Butter
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Delicious roast chicken dish from Bon Appetit. The recipe doesn't call for garlic, but I add garlic to everything. I usually quarter the orange after I zest it and put it in the cavity for a little more citrus flavor. The sauce is subtle but good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 shallots
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 7 lbs roasting chickens, neck and heart reserved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F Mince 1 shallot; mix with butter, rosemary and peel in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 2Pat chicken dry. Using fingers, loosen skin from chicken breasts, legs and thighs. Sprinkle chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Spread half of rosemary-orange butter under chicken skin. Tie chicken legs together to hold shape. Spread remaining butter over chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Place a rack in large roasting pan. Add reserved chicken neck and heart to pan, then onion, carrots and celery. Chop 2 shallots; add to pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack in pan. Roast chicken until meat thermometer inserted into innermost part of thigh registers 180°F, stirring vegetables in pan occasionally, about 1 hour 40 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter. Tent with foil while making sauce (do not clean pan).
- 4Place same roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add wine to pan; simmer until most of wine evaporates, scraping up any browned bits, about 5 minutes. Add broth. Simmer until sauce is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Strain into 2-cup glass measuring cup; discard solids. Spoon fat from top of sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with pan sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken With Rosemary-Orange Butter
Serving Size: 1 (753 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1349.1
- Calories from Fat 893
- Total Fat 99.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.3 g
- Cholesterol 420.1 mg
- Sodium 562.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 90.9 g