Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice dinner for a smaller group. This will work as well with a turkey if you are entertaining a larger group; just increase the proportions to fit the larger bird.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion
- 3⁄4 cup celery
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 1 (5 lb) roasting chickens, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Melt butter and saute onion and celery.
- When soft, stir in bread crumbs, hazelnuts, zest, thyme, and bay.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then let cool.
- Stuff chicken with hazelnut mixture.
- Blend the honey, 2 tbs butter, and the nutmeg.
- Sprinkle the chicken withsalt and pepper, then brush with the honey mixture.
- Roast at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, turn, and roast another 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees, baste the chicken with juices, and roast 1 hour.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Cumberland sauce (recipe#33186).
Love this recipe! Have made it several times exactly as stated.
great balance of stuffing ingredients. worked well with walnuts instead of hazels.