1/1 Photo of Roast Chicken
2 hrs 30 mins
From Martha Steward video, originally a recipe of Norma Darden of Miss Mamie's Spoonbread. (Use two-and-a-half-to-three-pound chickens)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375° .
- 2Finely chop the leaves of one sprig rosemary and one clove garlic.
- 3In a small bowl, combine mustard, chopped rosemary, and chopped garlic; set aside.
- 4Rub each chicken inside and out with half a lemon. Place a lemon half in each cavity.
- 5Add to the cavity of each chicken a stalk of celery, two onion quarters, a sprig of rosemary, and a clove of garlic.
- 6Rub chickens all over with mustard mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Place on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- 8Sprinkle all over with wine. Pour remaining wine into roasting pan.
- 9Bake, basting about every 15 minutes, until juices run clear, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.
- 10Add water or wine as additional basting juices are needed.
- 11Remove from oven, transfer chickens to a platter, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, remove rack from roasting pan and place pan on top of stove over medium heat.
- 13Cook until liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Pour reduced liquid over chickens, or serve on the side.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.7
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 102.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 13.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: