Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gourmet. July 1990
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml couscous
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery
- 78.07 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml thinly sliced scallion
- 44.37 ml fresh orange juice
- 44.37 ml minced fresh parsley leaves
- 453.59 g thinly sliced rare roast beef
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- bibb lettuce, rinsed and spun dry, for garnish
- In a small saucepan bring 1 cup water to a boil with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the salt, stir in the couscous, and let the mixture stand off the heat, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the vinegar, the celery, the Parmesan, the scallion, the orange juice, the parsley, and salt and black pepper to taste and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Press about 2 tablespoons of the couscous mixture in the palm of one hand, forming a log, and arrange it across a short end of 1 roast beef slice.
- Arrange 1 pepper strip along each side of the log and roll up the couscous and the bell pepper tightly in the roast beef.
- With a sharp knife cut the roll into 1-inch lengths, trimming the ends. Make rolls with the remaining roast beef, couscous mixture, and bell pepper in the same manner.
- (The rolls may be prepared 8 hours in advance and kept wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled.) Line a platter with the lettuce and arrange the rolls on top.