Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Courtesy Rachel Ray. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 20 -24 pitted dates, halved (about 1 cup)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Place lamb in a food storage bag.
- Combine the 7 spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle into the bag and seal bag.
- Shake evenly and coat the lamb pieces in the spices.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, then the lamb.
- Sear the lamb and caramelize the meat all over, 5-7 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the dates and 2 cups chicken stock to the pan and cover. Cook 7-8 minutes more to plump the dates and soften the onions. Remove cover and adjust seasonings.
- During the last 5 minutes the lamb has to cook, melt butter and toast pine nuts. Add 2 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat, add couscous and cover pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork.
- Serve lamb over couscous in shallow dishes and garnish with chopped scallions.