Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my standard romaine salad with tuna. It's important to use good water-packed albacore tuna-other kinds won't be very good in this. What is really nice is REAL tuna, grilled medium-rare and sliced over this--but since I bring this to lunch every day medium-rare tuna isn't practical. I put the dressing contents in a small container and put in a plastic bag, then put the lettuce in a container, with a whole tomato (I pack a knife too); feta, onions and pecans are already sprinkled on the lettuce. I include a packet of Albacore and voila--I have an easy and VERY HEALTHY lunch ready to go with no required refrigeration or heating device! I've also used packets of salmon instead of the tuna.
- 6 -7 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced thinly and soaked in water to remove bitterness
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- shelled pecans (not chopped) (optional)
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- red wine vinegar, to taste
- good quality extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Arrange lettuce on plate.
- Arrange tomato slices, red onion slices, feta cheese and pecans (if desired) on lettuce.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with your desired proportion and amount of red wine vinegar and olive oil.