Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A salad featuring the flavors of Mediterranean France, with enough vitamins and protein to give you energy for windsurfing or dancing, but minimal fat to keep you looking sleek on the beach. Submitted for Ready Set Cook Contest, Summer 2005.
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 8 ounces fresh green beans
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can canned tuna, drained and flaked (or leftover tuna)
- 1 cup chickpeas, canned or cooked from scratch, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (lowfat or nonfat)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed lightly between your fingers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- Broil the red pepper half until the skin blisters and chars; let cool and remove the skin.
- When the pepper is cooled and peeled, dice them.
- Clean the green beans, remove the ends, and cut into smaller pieces if desired - They look better long but are easier to eat small - you can always cut them up on the plate.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling water for about 6 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Mix the yogurt, vinegar, and garlic, then mix in the rest of the dressing ingredients.
- These amounts are for 2 servings, so you'll use half of everything on each plate:.
- On each plate, arrange green beans, chickpeas, and tuna each on a third of the plate.
- Sprinkle the capers over the tuna.
- Sprinkle the diced roasted red pepper over the chickpeas.
- Pour as much dressing as desired over each salad.