When I was a student, I used to work at a breakfast cafe called "Riley's" which was run by a married couple who had met at and graduated from The Culinary Institute. This is how they made their Turtle Pie, hence the name. (Plan ahead - while it only takes a few minutes to complete each step, there is freezing time between each part. The prep time given is approx including the total freezing time.) I had to guess on the measurements - I usually buy a container of each ingredient and just pour out the amounts as needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pre-made graham cracker pie crusts
- 1 quart good-quality vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping, approximately
- 1/2 cup Hersheys Chocolate Syrup (see note) or 1/2 cup fox's u-bet chocolate syrup (see note)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, approximately
- 8 whole pecan halves
- 1 (7 ounce) can whipped cream (the spray kind)
- 1Make sure your ice cream is softened enough so that you can spread it.
- 2Fill the graham cracker pie crust with the softened ice cream, leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch space at the top.
- 3Cover and freeze until solid.
- 4Cover the entire surface of the pie with an even layer of caramel sauce, then recover and let freeze until firm.
- 5Pour an even layer of chocolate sauce on top of the caramel.
- 6Sprinkle as many chopped nuts on top as you like; cover and return to freezer until firm.
- 7You can do all of the previous steps ahead and leave the pie in the freezer until needed.
- 8When you plan to serve the pie, set it out on the counter to soften up just enough so you can slice it into 6 servings.
- 9Set one slice onto a plate and using a spray can of whipped cream, cover the entire slice with whipped cream--piling it high like meringue.
- 10Sprinkle with additional chopped nuts, if desired.
- 11Stick a whole pecan half into each slice, and serve.
- 12NOTE: DO NOT use the squeeze bottle type of chocolate syrup, meant for making chocolate milk.
- 13It is too thin and will not harden up enough.
- 14Instead, look for the small cans of Hershey's chocolate syrup or any brand that comes in a thick, fudgey sauce form.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Riley's Frozen Turtle Pie
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.1
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 426.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 49.0 g
- Protein 7.2 g