Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is one of my usual concoctions where I pore over numerous recipes for a dish and choose a mixture that I like and know my family will like.
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 3 lbs beef roast
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 medium potatoes, cut up (es)
- 3 carrots, cut up
- Mix flour with salt and pepper and dredge meat with mixture. Place pot roast and vegetables to crock. Add water to cover. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. One-half hour before serving, a canned vegetable (green beans, lima beans, etc.) may be added if desired.
- If gravy is too thin, turn heat to high and add 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved with 1/4 cup cool water during the last half hour. I keep a small pickle jar handy to shake the cornstarch and water together. Flour can be used in place of the cornstarch, but doesn't seem to work as well because the crockpot doesn't quite reach a good boil.
- Add 1 can of tomatoes before adding the water.