Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very easy casserole. If you want to "lighten" it up just substitute cheeses to light or fat free.
- 3 cups cooked macaroni or 3 cups penne pasta
- 1 package cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian spices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Mix macaroni,cream cheese and cottage cheese put in greased (I use spray) 9"x 13" casserole dish.
- Mix hamburger, tomato sauce and spices.
- let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Put hamburger mixture evenly on top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of hamburger.
- Cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes before cutting.
This was REALLY good, and aptly named as "rich" --the whole family loved it! I was a bit confused about the recipe as ingredient amounts were vague, but winged it and came out fine! I used an 8 oz package of cream cheese and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce (recipe did not specify). Also, it never said to brown the hamburger, but I of course did. I browned it with all the spices listed in the recipe and then added the tomato sauce and sugar before letting it simmer for 15 minutes. End result was a VERY tasty supper! We will make this one again, maybe with fat free cheeses next time. Tonite we used reduced fat and it was plenty rich & creamy. Thanks marylynne for a great supper dish!!!
This is really tasty. I was serving 4 so this is what I did,I used just over 500 grams ground beef, I browned it adding the garlic powder and then added 1 can of tomato sauce and the herbs...I used a 250 gram pottle of lite cream cheese and the same amount of cottage cheese. Topped with the mozzarella and enjoyed a delicious simple dinner. Will make it again and probably add an onion and some mushrooms while browning the beef. Thanks for a tasty simple recipe.
Needed more spices. I tried to cook it in a pan on top of the stove and the color was not pretty:) It was a nice try though.