Adapted from Baker's Dozen Cookbook (I made some minor changes). This recipe makes a wonderful and moist cake with a velvety and smooth texture. All in one bowl too! I fill the layers with Mean Chef's Mousseline Buttercream (flavored with coconut), then glaze with Chocolate Butter Glaze (Chocolate Butter Glaze). To die for!! (I made only half the recipe for a birthday cake, and it's plenty for 8 people)
- 85.04 g unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (good quality)
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 118.32 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 236.59 ml sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten,at room temperature
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml water
- Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Line the bottoms of two 9x2-inch round pans with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate in microwave (LOW or MED), stirring occasionally until smooth.
- You may use a double boiler too (make sure water is HOT, not simmering).
- Cool chocolate until tepid.
- Sift flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar.
- Using a paddle blade on electric mixer, combine the ingredients on low speed.
- Add butter and sour cream.
- Mix on med-low speed for 1 min to make a thick batter.
- Add eggs, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Increase speed to high and beat for 2 mins.
- Stop and scrape down the bowl.
- Resume mixing at med-high, for about 5 sec.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly pour in the water just until thoroughly blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans and spread it evenly.
- Bake until tops spring back when pressed lightly in the centers and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 30-35 mins.
- Transfer to cooling racks and cool for 10 mins.
- Invert onto racks and remove pans.
- Peel off the parchment and cool the cakes right side up.
- NOTE: The cake can be baked 1 day in advance.
- Wrap the cooled cake layers tightly with plastic wrap to store.
- Or to freeze, over-wrapped with foil, for up to 2 weeks.
Fantastic cake! Moist, rich, and chocolatey with the perfect texture. Frosted with Mocha Buttercream Frosting. I am always careful baking chocolate cakes, they overbake so easily, but this one needed the full 35 minutes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!