Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 Cornish hens, washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked long-grain rice, not instant rice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 (3 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- melted butter
- Season cornish hens inside and out with salt and pepper; place breast up on rack in shallow baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, cook nuts, onion and rice in butter for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, bouillon cube, and lemon juice; bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve bouillon cube.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the drained mushrooms.
- Lightly stuff birds with rice mixture.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Roast uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Tent with aluminum foil and roast for 1 hour longer, or until drumsticks can be easily twisted in their sockets.
- Brush birds with melted butter for the last 15 minutes of roasting time.