1 hr 5 mins
Mims & Squims's Note:
Pilau is a Swahili dish of rice cooked in a seasoned broth mixed with vegetables and meat. This spicy recipe uses turkey, naturally lower in fat and still just as flavorful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb smoked turkey bacon
- 1/2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 4 1/4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces smoked ham, diced small
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed and at room temp
- 1/4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1Brown bacon in large skillet. When crispy, remove from skillet and dice. Set aside.
- 2Add to skillet shallots, jalapenos, and garlic. Cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 3Raise heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Transfer mixture large pot with fitted lid. Stir in rice, broth, wine, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- 5Add ham and peas to top of mixture. Do not stir! Cover and let rice 5-10 minutes.
- 6Fluff rice and toss mixture.
- 7Spoon into individual bowls, sprinkle with bacon bits and scallions; serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice Pilau With Turkey Ham & Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (822 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 822.3
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 64.2 mg
- Sodium 2517.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 30.4 g