Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a friend also. I love it because it makes two casseroles. It freezes well or you can give one to a friend. The rice krispies were a pleasant surprise.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb hot sausage, browned
- 1 lb mild sausage, browned
- 2 cups cooked rice (or more)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 (8 ounce) packages sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Brown sausage and onion together; drain.
- Mix sausage mixture with rice.
- Layer with Rice Krispies and cheese, dividing between 2 (2 qt.) casserole dishes.
- Mix together eggs, milk and soup and spoon over tops of csseroles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Dh really enjoyed this. I didn't mention the Rice Crispies and I don't think he noticed. I like this recipe because I can easily prepare it well ahead of time, layering it all together in time for dinner baking. Thanks, Jellyqueen.
I made this tonight. We had a large crowd, so this was perfect. DH said he was a little apprehensive about sausage, rice and rice krispies. But he now says that this is definitely a keeper. Thanks for the good recipe. One down and two to go! :)
Great and unusual casserole. I was curious to see how it would come out with the rice and rice krispies. I served it with steamed vegetables and will make this again.