Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Rick Rodgers. Perfect for an Alfresco Supper.
- 2 cups long-grain rice, preferably converted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes or 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (plus more for garnish)
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add in the rice and cook, uncovered, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes; drain in a large wire sieve and rinse under cold water; drain again.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl; add in cherry tomatoes.
- Whisk the vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the oil; pour approximately 2/3 of the dressing over the rice.
- Add in the basil and mix.
- Separately cover and refrigerate the salad and remaining dressing for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 30 minutes before ready to serve, remove the salad from the refrigerator and let stand to remove the chill and soften the rice.
- Add enough of the reserved dressing to moisten the salad.
- Serve garnished with chopped basil.