Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
From Vegetarian Express.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking brown rice (enough for 6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, sliced diagonally, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 cup small whole white mushroom
- 1 cup canned baby corn, drained (or trimmed fresh snow peas)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted cashews
- Cook the rice by following the package directions; when rice is done, fluff it with a fork and cover until ready to use.
- In a wok or large soup pot, heat the oils, soy sauce, and wine; stir in the broccoli and carrots.
- Cover and steam the vegetable mixture over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the red pepper, mushrooms, baby corn, and water chestnuts.
- Stir-fry over med-high heat for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are brightly colored and crisp-tender.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the liquid reserved from the water chestnuts.
- Add enough water to the cornstarch mixture to equal 1 cup of liquid.
- Add to the skillet and cook another 2-3 minutes or until thickened; adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the rice over the bottom of a large round casserole dish.
- Mound the vegetables over the rice; sprinkle with cashews.
- Serve immediately; pass around extra soy sauce.