Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My mom used to make this every Christmas and every 4th of July. It was a real treat and was requested at all my siblings high school graduation open houses. It's yummy and beautiful to look at - so make sure you assemble it in a clear dish. Use your favorite Jello flavors and colors or vary by season! I'm having to guess at the preparation and "cook" (refridgeration) times, just so I can post this - so don't expect them to be exact.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packagesknox unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 (3 ounce) packages Jello gelatin
- Boil 2 cups whole milk and 1 cup sugar.
- Soften 2 packages of gelatin in ½ cup cold water. Heat over medium heat until dissolved. Add to milk and sugar.
- Add 2 cups sour cream, 2 teaspoons Vanilla and beat until creamy. Set aside. *Do not refrigerate.
- Prepare first color of jello (3 oz pkg). Pour into pan and refrig. Until firm.
- Pour 1 ½ cup white mix over it and refig. For ½ hour.
- Repeat with each color of jello.
Made this as a side dessert to go with cake for my grandparents 60th anniversary party. My dad has celiac disease so this was perfect for him. I used berry, lime, and strawberry flavors. Everyone loved it! I think next time I'm going to try to use nonfat milk and nonfat/light sour cream. Definitely a keeper!!!
This is the best jello salad EVER! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
This is very similar to my recipe except that I use four flavors of Jello and when preparing the Jello, I use 1 cup hot water and 1/2 cup cold water. My kids LOVE this recipe. I like to keep the bowl with the last little bit of white sauce in another bowl of warm water to prevent it from setting prematurely.