Recipe by HeatherFeather
A recipe I clipped from an article in Southern Living about family reunion recipes. This makes 2 pies, each pie serves about 6-8.
Top Review by SouthernSarah
I've been meaning to rate this....absolutely great egg custard!!!! I had no problem with the filling ending up under the crust and it was extra creamy Ithink because of the 5 min cooking of the crust. Very easy. Deeper type pie plates work best as it is pretty full.
- 2 9-inch pie shells, unbaked
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk (one 12 ounce can)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each piecrust into an ungreased 9" deep dish pie plate and crimp edges with fingers to form a decorative rim.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prick the bottom of each piecrust with a fork several times, then pop the crusts into the heated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with nutmeg.
- Whisk together eggs,both types of milk,sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Pour into piecrusts and pop into the oven to bake for 7 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 F and bake another 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center tests clean.
- Let cool on wire racks, then chill in fridge completely before serving.