Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sour rhubarb adds tantalizing tang to sweet barbecue sauce. And, with frozen rhubarb, you can make this any time of year.
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In large saucepan, bring rhubarb, ketchup, water, onion, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until rhubarb is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to blender or food processor; purée until smooth. Let cool. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.) Makes 2 ½ cups.
- Canadian Living Magazine: May 2002.
I had a ton of rhubarb that I wanted a new idea for...and this was it!! I used apple cidar vinegar and more hot pepper sauce and a tablespoon of maple syrup. I marinated chicken in it all day then fired up the grill...YUMMO!!! The kids tried to guess what was in it but couldn't lol!! They loved it. Thanks for posting a unique recipe.