Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
From Phil Vickery's Proof of the Pudding. Not yet tried (timings are approximate and please note that there's a good bit of prep for this that needs to be done in advance) but posted here for safe keeping. I know it's not rhubarb season any more, but I've still got a bunch in the freezer so I was looking for something to use it up on. Sounds delicious...
- Wash the rhubarb well and cut into 1cm slices.
- Gently bring to the boil in a pan with the granulated sugar. As soon as the liquid starts to boil, remove from the heat.
- Leave to cool for at least 5-6 hours. The recipe also says to put a piece of greaseproof paper directly onto the rhubarb mixture.
- Once cooled, carefully strain into a colander, keeping the strained juices/syrup to one side.
- Arrange the sponge fingers in a serving dish or bowls.
- Spoon over approximately half the rhubarb syrup/juices and leave to soak for 15mins.
- Chill well.
- Place the eggs and 3 heaped tbsps of caster sugar into a heatproof bowl.
- Gently whisk over a pan of simmering water until thick, creamy and cooked.
- Place in a mixer and whisk at high speed until thick and cool.
- In a separate bowl, whip the double cream until it makes peaks.
- In yet another bowl (lots of washing up for you tonight!) whisk the mascarpone and 2 tbsp caster sugar until loose and creamy.
- Fold together the mascarpone and double cream and then carefully fold in the egg mixture.
- Remove the dish(s) with the sponge fingers from the fridge and sprinkle the poached rhubarb over the top.
- Spoon over the egg and cream mixture, flatten out with a palette knife and chill well.
- To serve, dust with cocoa powder.
This is awesome! I have had tiramisu before but never made it, but this was well worth it. I love the taste and texture. I used fresh rhubarb and it was so good!
Delightful variation on the traditional tiramisu!! I LOVE rhubarb and this is FABULOUS! I made this for my MIL and it was devoured! I will make it again and try to get you a nice photo as I just ran to the market and grabbed a bunch of rhubarb before it is gone from the market!! Thanks for posting a terrific rhubarb dessert!