Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rhubarb (frozen or fresh) is the backbone of this lush chutney that will transform a simple ham steak into something that will have 'em asking for more, more, more! Easy and quick to make, this is a definite keeper. Recipe is from "Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topps and Margaret Howard.
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Combine rhubarb, dates, apricots, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, candied ginger, nutmeg, curry powder and salt in non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes or until thickened and fruit is soft, stirring frequently.
- Ladle into sterilized, hot pint jars to within 1/2-inch. Seal and process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes (10 minutes if using 1/2-pint jars).