Recipe by CountryLady
This easy, old fashioned family recipe goes back more than 5 generations - from Kate Kelly of Kanata, Ontario! Make your own pastry base or buy a ready made shell to save time. You can aso make this with a full pastry or lattice top. Try adding a tsp of orange zest to the filling - its delicious!
Top Review by jenwarz
What a delicious pie! A little sweeter than traditional rhubarb, which suits me fine! My husband really enjoyed it too. I omitted the 2 Tbls of butter from the top of the filling and it turned out great. Will definitely make again and again.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Topping: Combine flour& sugar in a bowl; using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is in fine crumbs.
- Set aside.
- PIE: Combine sugar, flour& salt in a bowl; whisk in egg until smooth.
- Add rhubarb& toss to coat.
- Scrape into pie shell& dot with butter.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over filling.
- Bake in the bottom third of a preheated 425F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F& continue baking until topping is golden& filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven& cool on a rack.