Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This easy, old fashioned family recipe goes back more than 5 generations - from Kate Kelly of Kanata, Ontario! Make your own pastry base or buy a ready made shell to save time. You can aso make this with a full pastry or lattice top. Try adding a tsp of orange zest to the filling - its delicious!
- Topping: Combine flour& sugar in a bowl; using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is in fine crumbs.
- Set aside.
- PIE: Combine sugar, flour& salt in a bowl; whisk in egg until smooth.
- Add rhubarb& toss to coat.
- Scrape into pie shell& dot with butter.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over filling.
- Bake in the bottom third of a preheated 425F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F& continue baking until topping is golden& filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven& cool on a rack.
What a delicious pie! A little sweeter than traditional rhubarb, which suits me fine! My husband really enjoyed it too. I omitted the 2 Tbls of butter from the top of the filling and it turned out great. Will definitely make again and again.
This pie was out of this world amazing! I made it for a church fundraiser and actually paid for a piece of my own pie I liked it so much! LOL I made it just like written, using just over 1 lb. of rhubarb. Thanks soooooo much for this recipe - I will be making it over and over from now on! :) - May 8, 2007. Update: I've made this quite a few times now and this last time I left out the 2 Tbsp butter over the filling and it came out just fine and I felt just a little less guilty about eating it. LOL Thanks again!
Very very good pie! I told my boys to take just a small piece each and when I came up to check, it was almost all gone! The only variation I made was to omit the crust. I didn't feel like messing with one, and figured it would be a little like a rhubard crisp. I kept all else the same, and it turned out great! I thought maybe next time I would add a bit of oatmeal to the filling and see if that cooks up well....I bet it does! Thanks for a great recipe!