This easy, old fashioned family recipe goes back more than 5 generations - from Kate Kelly of Kanata, Ontario! Make your own pastry base or buy a ready made shell to save time. You can aso make this with a full pastry or lattice top. Try adding a tsp of orange zest to the filling - its delicious!
- Topping: Combine flour& sugar in a bowl; using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is in fine crumbs.
- Set aside.
- PIE: Combine sugar, flour& salt in a bowl; whisk in egg until smooth.
- Add rhubarb& toss to coat.
- Scrape into pie shell& dot with butter.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over filling.
- Bake in the bottom third of a preheated 425F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F& continue baking until topping is golden& filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven& cool on a rack.