Recipe by Elly in Canada
One of my favourite ways to prepare rhubarb! I love this spooned over a dish of low-fat cottage cheese for breakfast or lunch. A simple, yet delicious compote.
Top Review by Chef Luigi
Good collection of tastes, and the orange is excellent. The rhubarb I have at the end of this season is pretty green. So I have added one package of frozen raspberries. I also use 1/2 Splenda with 1/2 sugar, as I am a diabetic. I also add a couple of drops of almond extract. Finally, i have also tried cooking over low heat until all is broken down. Excellent.
- 1 cup white sugar (add more or less depending on your taste)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 strip orange rind, 1 inch wide x 3 inches long
Directions See How It's Made
- This is prepared in a double boiler. Put a few inches of water in the bottom part of the pot and bring to gentle boil.
- In top of double boiler over direct heat, bring sugar and water to boil. When the mixture is boiling, place the pot over the gently simmering water in bottom of double boiler.
- Add the chopped rhubarb and orange rind to the sugar water mixture, stir.
- Cover and cook, without stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. The pieces will remain whole!
- Turn off heat; allow the rhubarb to cool in the pan over hot water. Discard orange rind.
- I like to serve this warm or cold, either way it is delicious!
- Serve as is or, just before serving, stir in 1 cup (250 mL) sliced strawberries, cubed mango or pineapple tidbits, good to serve over ice cream, frozen yogurt or a slice of plain cake.