Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
An amazing and easy to make rhubarb dessert. If possible, use only day old French bread for this, do not use the regular white sliced bread, it will not hold up as well for this recipe. This recipe is delicious!
Top Review by Elly in Canada
I made this ages ago and forgot to review!! Deelicious!! Love the flavours citrus, tart, cinnamon, I added some nutmeg and used 18%cream and 2%milk the result was a creamy, not too sweet pudding. I sprinkled some of the rhubarb on top hoping it would not sink into the mixture and it didn't!!!! I did not prepare the topping with the brown sugar. DH loved to eat bread pudding with cream or milk poured on top. I will make this again, with the topping next time!
- 5 1⁄2 cups cubed French bread (about half a loaf)
- 3 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- brown sugar, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Combine the cubed bread and rhubarb, and place in the baking dish.
- In a bowl whisk together evaporated milk, water, eggs, sugar, rind, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the rhurbarb and bread in the baking dish.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Set oven to broil.
- Sprinkle the top of the baked bread pudding with brown sugar (any amount desired).
- Broil about 6 inches from heat for about 1-2 minutes, or until sugar melts and the top is golden.
- Best served warm.