Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
According to the cookbook, this delicious recipe is best when made in the morning and served hot at night. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 4 slices salt pork, diced (use bacon if you can't find salt pork)
- 6 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 quart potato, cubed
- 1 quart clam, washed, steamed, removed from shells and chopped (preferably quahogs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup canned tomato
- 2 quarts boiling water
- Slowly fry the salt pork to render the fat; remove cubes, add onions and slightly brown.
- Cover with water and cook until onions are soft.
- Add cubed potatoes and cooked, chopped clams; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with boiling water, using about two quarts.
- Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Add tomatoes when chowder is ready to serve.