Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I make this in a flash, easy! I usually serve with fish. Can be served anytime with any dish. Two methods of cooking.The dipping sauce is also very easy. If you mix the dipping sauce with peanut butter, kids like it for breakfast.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Now these little buggers are ABSOLUTELY GREAT, & I'll tell you ~ Grownups can enjoy the dipping sauce with PB, as much as kids can! Anyway, I cut back on the salt a bit & used up some buttermilk that needed using! Also omitted the angostura bitters from the sauce! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of my FINGER FOOD theme in the current My-3-Chefs cooking event]
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
Honey Lemon Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup honey, warmed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 dashes angostura aromatic bitters (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium mixing bowl, mix with spoon, self rising flour, regular flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In large measuring cup, add milk and vinegar. Set aside, five minutes, or use 1 cup buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Mix in all the dry ingredients.
- Turn out on a floured board or counter and roll out with a rolling pin that has been floured or sprinkle flour on the top of the dough and pat out with your fingertips until 12x14-inch.
- Cut in 2-inch strips, then cut three strips together across at an angle. Do this until you have at least 36 or more little "dough fingers" or 14 to 18 bread sticks. The length can be 2 to 4 inches.
- In medium frying pan, portion the butter or margarine in 4 amounts.
- Add to frying pan on medium heat. Add 9 to 10 dough fingers and fry on each side. You may have to turn the heat down a little after the pan gets hot. Place on paper toweled plate and keep warm in 250°F oven if desired.
- Or, preheat oven 400* spray Pam on baking pan and bake 12-14 minutes.Last 3-4 minutes of baking brush on melted butter or margarine.
- Right before serving warm the honey, add lemon juice, stir, then the bitters if desired.
- Note: You may use buttermilk in place of the vinegar and milk.