Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
An interesting way to make Reubens.
- 1 lb thinly sliced corned beef
- 1 (10 ounce) packageshredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 16 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- Cut corned beef into 1/2 inch strips; set aside.
- Saute cabbage and next 3 ingredients in a nonstick skillet coated with vegetable cooking spray for 4 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
- Remove from heat, stir in dressing. Cool.
- Stir together butter and mustard; set aside.
- Unfold phyllo, and cover with a damp towel to prevent pastry from drying out.
- Stack 8 sheets of phyllo on a flat surface covered with wax paper, brushing every other sheet with butter mixture. Spoon half of cabbage mixture lengthwise down half the phyllo stack, spreading to within 2-inches of edges. Top with half of corned beef and half of the cheese.
- Fold in short edges 2-inches. Roll up, starting at long edge of pastry nearest the filling. Place seam side down, on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Cut 1/4 inch deep diagonal slits, 1-inch apart, across the top. Coat strudel with cooking spray.
- Repeat procedure with remaining Phyllo, butter mixture and filling. Bake at 425 degree for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cut diagonally into 3 to 4 inch pieces. Serve immediately.