Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sandwiches are really delicious and easy to make. They are one of my family's fix it quick favorites. I like to serve them with big bowls of steaming vegetable soup and dill pickles, on the side.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices deli sliced corned beef
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing
- 1. Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat.
- 2. Lightly butter one side of bread slices. Spread non-buttered sides with Thousand Island dressing. On 4 bread slices, layer 1 slice Swiss cheese, 2 slices corned beef, 1/4 cup sauerkraut and second slice of Swiss cheese. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered sides out.
- 3. Grill sandwiches until both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes per side. Serve hot.
- My Update Notes: I drained the sourkraut but didn't rinse it, because we like the tangy taste of the sourkraut. I buttered rye bread slices on one side and spread Thousand Island dressing on the other side. On the dressing side I placed a slice of swiss cheese, sliced Pastrami from the deli and then topped with sourkraut. I cooked them on my grill until the cheese was melted and the bread was nice and toasted. They were delicious! I only gave the four star rating because the sourkraut in the middle wasn't very warm. Next time I make these I will warm the sourkraut in the microwave first and maybe add another slice of swiss too! I made was to heat the sauerkraut in the microwave for 20 seconds before adding to the sandwich. I like my sandwich warmed all the way through. I would recommend keeping a good eye on your bread and toast it to your liking. If you like Rueben sandwiches you will love this one!
I made these (2) for lunch on Friday for hubby and I. I'm giving this 5* stars, although I switched up my sandwich a bit. I don't like rye bread, so I used sour-dough for mine (hubby used rye). I didn't use Thousand Island dressing (but hubby did). I used country mustard, instead. We both loved this classic sandwich. I make it quite often. Thanks for posting (Made for PRMR)
This is such great sandwich!!!! ...A winner!! I always make Reuben sandwiches for my friends and guests and they love it..They often ask for second!!...I definitively like some of the suggestions like warming up the Saurkraut ect...
Rosie 316 Say it all !!! BUT as you say....Now I can do the happy food dance!! Happy Cooking to you and y'all! Thank You!