Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Jo Anne Merrill.
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 8 swiss cheese slices, thin
- 3⁄4 lb corned beef brisket, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons thousand island dressing
- 5 gherkins
- Omelets will be prepared one at a time in omelet or similar pan, so it is a good idea to have oven barely warm to keep prepared omelets in while preparing others.
- Have corned beef sliced into thin slices, about 12 pieces if possible.
- Drain sauerkraut through strainer over bowl until very well drained.
- Discard liquid.
- Mince one gherkin and add to the thousand island dressing.
- Break eggs into bowl, add 1/2 cup water and caraway seeds (unless sauerkraut already has caraway in it).
- Beat eggs until thoroughly blended.
- Place omelet pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add 1 tablespoon solid margarine to pan and tilt to coat sides and bottom.
- Turn heat to medium-high.
- Pour in one quarter of eggs.
- Using wide spatula or fork, pull cooked eggs toward center, allowing uncooked part to flow to outside.
- While top is still moist and creamy, add 2 slices Swiss cheese to one side of omelet, top with 1/4 of the corned beef and then top with 1/4 cup sauerkraut.
- Fold other side over and immediately remove to serving plate.
- Keep in barely warm oven while preparing remaining 3 omelets.
- Wipe pan with paper towels between each omelet.
- To serve, top each with 1/4 of the dressing and serve one gherkin along side omelet.