Recipe by Kathy!!
This is one of my favorite dessert recipes. It is a very rich and elegant bread pudding that starts with homemade white bread and ends with a perfect baked custard.
For the bread
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the custard
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, softened
- 1 -2 tablespoon coarse sugar crystals
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add warmed milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Slowly stir in flour to form dough.
- Knead bread dough on lightly floured surface.
- Let rise until double.
- Punch down dough and form into a loaf.
- Let rise in loaf pan until double.
- Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.
- Let bread cool.
- Cut bread into 1" cubes.
- Place cubes into a deep casserole dish.
- Toss in the raisins.
- In a separate bowl mix together custard ingredients. Pour over the bread and sprinkle top with coarse sugar crystals.
- Bake 375 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Note: You can double the bread recipe and have an extra loaf. I often make the bread the day before. You could use a dense store bought bread but you won't get the same results.