1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Barbell Bunny's Note:
This is one of my favorite dishes! I love being able to indulge in the best of carbs - basmati rice and reshteh noodles. You can find reshteh noodles at most Middle Eastern markets. It is a thin, flat pasta that kind of resembles capellini or fettuccine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 cup orange peel, slivered
- 5 dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 4 ounces noodles, reshteh
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon spices, advieh (can be found at Middle Eastern Markets, but you can use vegetable or chicken bouillon)
- 1/4 cup pistachios and almonds, slivered and toasted
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1In a large pot, saute onion until nice and golden.
- 2Remove pits from dates and dice them.
- 3In another pot, saute the reshteh noodles in butter until golden. Keep an eye on them, as they burn easily.
- 4Prepare your basmati rice according to my "Persian Rice" recipe. When you add the rice to the water, add the reshteh noodles too.
- 5Once the onion is nice and golden, add one tablespoon butter. Add turmeric and cinnamon. Give the pan a nice stir.
- 6Add dates and raisins. Give the pan a stir.
- 7Add orange peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Note: if the ingredients seem kind of dry, add a tablespoon of butter.
- 9After draining your rice and reshteh noodles, place 2 tablespoons canola oil in the bottom of the rice/reshteh pot and add enough water to cover the bottom.
- 10Add one layer of rice/reshteh noodles to the pot.
- 11Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of advieh spice (or bouillon).
- 12Place half of the date-raisin-orange-peel-onion mixture on top.
- 13Repeat with another layer of rice/reshteh noodles and the remainder of the date-onion mixture.
- 14End the layering with the rice-reshteh noodles.
- 15With the end of the spatula, make 5 holes to circumference the rice.
- 16Cook covered on high for 10 minutes.
- 17Ground the saffron and dissolve in 1/4 cup of hot water. Add 1 tablespoon butter t the saffron and mix well. Pour the saffron mixture over the rice.
- 18Cover the top of the pot with a towel and cover with the lid. Steam rice on low for one hour.
- 19Once the rice is done, place the rice in a dish and sprinkle the almonds and pistachios on top.
- 20At the bottom of your pot you will find a crunchy rice delicacy Persians love, called tadigh. Break it into pieces with a spatula or spoon and serve in a separate dish.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Reshteh Polo - Persian Rice With Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.8
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 68.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: