1/3 Photos of Renaissance Hvar Roasted Duck With Apples
2 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
This recipe is from island Hvar in Croatian Dalmatia. It originates from 16th century. Originally it was roasted “pod peku” or baking bell, but it is almost the same if you make it in oven, covered with aluminum foil or any other cover. The recipe is mentioned in Martin Benetovic papers, also one of the renaissance Croatian writers form 16th century.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean and season the duck and put sage and thyme sprig inside.
- 2Put the duck into roasting pot (or “peku”) and roast it on 190°C, occasionally basting with lemon juice and water.
- 3When it is almost done (about 100 minutes) take the duck out and slice it into serving pieces.
- 4Make sauce out of wine and honey and roasting drippings, add sliced apples, return the duck slices and roast until all ingredients are soft (or 20-30 min.).
- 5Serve with homemade flour gnocchi.
Browse Our Top Whole Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Renaissance Hvar Roasted Duck With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (798 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2151.4
- Calories from Fat 1773
- Total Fat 197.0 g
- Saturated Fat 66.1 g
- Cholesterol 379.9 mg
- Sodium 998.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 58.1 g