Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
This recipe is from island Hvar in Croatian Dalmatia. It originates from 16th century. Originally it was roasted “pod peku” or baking bell, but it is almost the same if you make it in oven, covered with aluminum foil or any other cover. The recipe is mentioned in Martin Benetovic papers, also one of the renaissance Croatian writers form 16th century.
- Clean and season the duck and put sage and thyme sprig inside.
- Put the duck into roasting pot (or “peku”) and roast it on 190°C, occasionally basting with lemon juice and water.
- When it is almost done (about 100 minutes) take the duck out and slice it into serving pieces.
- Make sauce out of wine and honey and roasting drippings, add sliced apples, return the duck slices and roast until all ingredients are soft (or 20-30 min.).
- Serve with homemade flour gnocchi.