Recipe by Mimi in Maine
I made these at the request of my oldest granddaughter who likes healthy food. Even though these may be put in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, you may bake them all at once and freeze them. They are so moist and good. Very healthy as they are lower in fat than some and eggs whites are used in place of the whole eggs. They make about 24 muffins.
- 2 cups shreds of whole all-bran cereal
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 egg whites (slightly beaten with a fork)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine all bran cereal and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes till cereal is softened.
- Meanwhile in another large bowl combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and raisins and mix well.
- To the cereal and buttermilk mixture add the applesauce, oil, and egg whites and blend well.
- Add this to the flour mixture all at once and stir till just moistened.
- You may bake this immediately or stored in tightly covered container and put in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 400 degrees; spray cupcake papers with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir batter and fill about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-17 minutes till done.
- Serve warm.