Recipe by itstime4cake
My hubby made these for me once and I will never go back to eating refried beans out of a can. The bacon bits in this make it absolutely yummy.
Top Review by flower7
These are very good and super easy! I used pre-cooked bacon (4 slices) and re-crisped it in the skillet, which released just enough fat to flavor the beans quite well. I love refried black beans so did a mix of half black and half pinto and just roughly mashed them with the wooden spoon I was stirring with so they still had a lot of texture. I used about 1/4 tsp pepper and after tasting, added 1/4 tsp of salt also. Since I was making these the day before I needed them, I waited to add the cheese until I was reheating. I also stirred in a spoonful of salsa as I was reheating my serving. Served with recipe #133032 which was an excellent combination. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- salt and pepper (taste first before adding salt due to the bacon)
- cheese (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a medium sized skillet until just crispy. Remove bacon from the skillet and set aside until cool enough to break into tiny pieces.
- Pour off most of the bacon grease, leaving the bottom of the skillet well coated. Return the bacon pieces back to the skillet on low heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the beans into the pan. Reserve liquid.
- Add garlic and onion powder.
- Mash all contents, adding reserved liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheese.