1/1 Photo of Reduced-Fat Banana Cream Pie (Cooking Light)
I Can't Believe It's Healthy's Note:
So delicious. Smooth and creamy. Its crust is so unique yet works beautifully with the flavors. And its light, to boot! Add more whipped topping if you prefer, or use Cool Whip Free (though you will get less flavor). Chill time is not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 295.73 ml gingersnap crumbs (about 25 cookies, very finely crushed in a food processor or blender)
- 22.18 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.79 ml egg white, lightly beaten
- 19.71 ml margarine, melted (not light margarine)
- 1Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Add 1 tablespoon of egg white (discard remaining egg white) and 1 tablespoons melted margarine (I usually add a tiny bit more); toss with a fork until moistened. Press into bottom and 3/4 up sides of a 10-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325°F for 17 minutes; let cool on a wire rack.
- 2Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg in a large bowl; stir well with a wire whisk, and set aside.
- 3Heat milk over medium-high heat in a medium heavy saucepan to 180°F or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).
- 4Remove from heat. Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with whisk.
- 5Return milk mixture to pan. Add 1 tablespoon margarine, and cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, and cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly until it has reached a thick custard consistency.
- 6Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and banana flavour.
- 7Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 25 minutes or until egg mixture cools to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- 8Remove pan from ice. Fold in the sliced ripe banana until evenly dispersed, and spoon mixture into prepared crust. Spread whipped topping evenly over filling. Cover loosely, and chill 4 hours.
- 9Served garnished with additional bananas and sprinkled cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Reduced-Fat Banana Cream Pie (Cooking Light)
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.0
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 28.1 mg
- Sodium 376.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 30.5 g
- Protein 4.7 g