7 hrs 30 mins
This slow cooker stew is inspired by a southern classic—ham and redeye gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (or 6 small potatoes)
- 2 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 8 slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 cups water or 2 cups beer or 2 cups wine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1Combine the flour and salt in a large zip-lock plastic bag; add in the meat in batches and shake until evenly coated.
- 2Put a large sauté pan over med-high heat; add in the oil.
- 3Working in batches, add the meat and cook, turning, for 15 minutes, until brown on all sides.
- 4Place the meat in the slow cooker; add in the potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme.
- 5Remove the sauté pan from the heat and pour in the coffee into the pan; using a wooden spoon, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- 6Pour the coffee into the slow cooker; add in the water.
- 7Cover and cook on low for 5 ½ to 7 ½ hours, until the meat is very tender.
- 8Add in the peas; cook 30 minutes.
- 9Ladle into bowls; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Redeye Stew
Serving Size: 1 (795 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1406.3
- Calories from Fat 725
- Total Fat 80.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.0 g
- Cholesterol 295.1 mg
- Sodium 1422.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 86.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: