Recipe by Jillian at Food.com
I found the recipe for these cupcakes in Runner's World. I love to make them to celebrate half-marathons - I tell myself the publication source makes them healthy!
- for the cupcake
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (if you would like to use less, kick up the amount of cocoa powder used for the color kick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- for the cream-cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla, extxract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line muffin tins with wrappers.
- Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in a second bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until fully combined. Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Bake 20-25 minutes and cool.
- For the frosting, mix butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the confectioners sugar, slowly. Add in the vanilla extract. To pipe, spoon into a plastic freezer bag and cut a tip at the end.
- Frost cupcakes once they have cooled. Top with colored sugar to finish. Enjoy the anti-oxidant awesomeness!