Recipe by NicestAlan
This has evolved over the years, but is my basis for many things pseudo-Italian. I've used it for all sorts of pasta, and also made lasagna with it. I make a big batch, since it freezes well.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, pork, or mix)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian tomatoes, Italian brand, chopped
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, Italian brand
- 2 -3 pureed or finely grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Tabasco sauce or red pepper flakes or hot sauce
- 1 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté sausage, ground meat, onion, pepper, celery, and garlic in a little virgin olive oil.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook 1 hour or more, uncovered, until a wooden spoon stands up in it without falling over.
- Serve over pasta with salad and garlic bread, wine, and cannolis for dessert.