Recipe by Tara
This was a favorite of mine as a child. My grandmother and great grandmother used to make it as they were canning. It was a recipe my great-grandfather had while in the Navy during WWII.
Top Review by Leta
This was a very tasty dish. We ate it for breakfast and it was a nice change from the usual cereal & toast. I used 2 large tomatoes, and used a few celery flakes instead of the stalk celery (picky eaters). I added the onions and peppers and allowed them to saute a few minutes before reducing the heat and adding the tomatoes. Thank you for sharing this family favorite.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped in pieces
- 3 -4 med-large tomatoes (very thinly sliced with skins left on)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, finely chopped (optional)
- sugar (I just sprinkle the top with about 1 tsp)