Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe off a website (wrote it down instead of printing it so can't tell you which one). We love this! I cook my lamb in the pressure cooker which only takes 10 minutes or so. I have no idea how long it will take in a regular pan so cooking time may well be longer. I've put 40 minutes as a very rough guesstimate.
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste (I use fresh ginger and garlic but you can use the jars if you like)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 small dried red chilies (less if you want it milder)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 5 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 inch
- Mix the lamb with turmeric, salt, ginger paste, garlic paste and vinegar; Marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Grind cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom in a spice grinder/coffee grinder/pestle& mortar.
- Cook the lamb in a pressure cooker or pan until done.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, add peppercorns and red chillies (break them up a little) and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until lightly golden.
- Add the tomato and fry for 5 minutes; then add the ground masala and lamb and fry until the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add about half a cup of water, cover and cook until the gravy thickens.
- You can also add about 1/4 cup grated coconut with the tomato.