Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a good do ahead vegetable dish for a buffet table or just a dinner for a crowd. It helps to do a dish the day before and just pop it in the oven the next day!! Leaving it overnight developes the flavours. The balsamic is a nice kick to the dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded (3 lbs at most)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Melt butter with oil in skillet or wok at medium heat.
- Add onion and sautee about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to med-high, add cabbage& ginger.
- Cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to medium and add wine.
- Boil about 10 minutes or until wine has almost evaporated.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and seasonings and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat cabbage in skillet or wok until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Mix in balsamic vinegar and serve.
I made so many substitutions that it may not count as the same recipe anymore, but it turned out pretty well. I sauteed ginger with garlic in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce, plus a little honey and ground pepper. This made a thin glaze, which I added to white beans and broccoli over low heat until the broccoli was steamed.
This was great - colorful, unusual, and tasty. I used smaller quantities of everything with probably less oil proportionally. The balsamic vinegar really makes it, without being too overwhelming. Thanks for posting!
this was okay, but not "oh wow great". even though i cut the recipe in half, it still made quite a lot. i misread the recipe and did not refrigerate overnight, but wil try again and see if that helps.