Unusual but tasty vegetarian casserole that is German in character and very nutritious. Delectable cheese sauce is poured over millet dumplings resting atop traditional German "Rotkohl". A taste of Germany without the meat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g millet
- 600 ml vegetable broth
- 2 small onions
- 2 eggs
- 80 g low-fat Quark cheese (substitute cottage cheese)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 kg red cabbage
- 1 small acidic apple (i.e. Boskop)
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 pinch clove powder
- 100 g fine mushroom camembert cheese (can substitute with Cream Cheese and sauteed mushrooms)
- 100 g heavy cream
- 100 ml milk
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- fat, for the casserole form
- 1Rinse millet in hot water and drain. Bring broth to boil and cook millet in 2 cups of the vegetable broth for 20 minutes.
- 2Finely chop onion. Combine millet with half of the onions. Take from stove and let the mixture cool with top on so grain continues to absorb moisture.
- 3Combine eggs, quark, salt and pepper and fold into millet mixture.
- 4Rinse and wash red cabbage. Quarter and remove the trunk. Cut into fine strips.
- 5Peel,quarter, and cut apple into small segments.
- 6Heat clarified butter and sauté the rest of the onions until glassy. Add red cabbage to onions and sauté briefly. Mix in the remaining vegetable broth, apple, salt, clove powder, and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- 7Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease casserole dish. Puree cheese with milk, cream. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spread red cabbage into casserole dish. Make dumplings out of the millet mixture with tablespoon and place on cabbage. Pour cheese sauce over the top of casserole and bake for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Cabbage Millet Gratin (German Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.1
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 169.0 mg
- Sodium 338.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat Quark cheese