Diana A's Note:
This is an authentic Puerto Rican recipe for rice & beans. You can also substitute other beans in place of the kidney beans, such as pinto beans or navy beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) envelope goya sazon goya, con achiote seasoning (found in the Spanish food section of your supermarket)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of goya sofrito seasoning (found in the Spanish food section of your supermarket. This is in a glass jar.)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small cooked potato, cubed (you can use a couple of those small canned white potatoes) (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1In a large heavy pot, with a tight fitting lid, put the 2 and 1/2 cups water, the tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 2Bring to a boil and stir in the rice.
- 3Bring to a boil again over medium high heat.
- 5Boil for about 1 minute and then put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium low.
- 6Cook for about 20 minutes WITHOUT LIFTING THE LID.
- 7After the 20 minutes or so, take off the lid and with a large spoon begin lifting the rice from the bottom and bringing it to the top.
- 8Check for doneness.
- 9If not quite done, put the lid back on for another 10 minutes and check again.
- 10When done, put the lid back on and reduce heat to low for another 5-10 minutes and then turn off the heat.
- 11(The best type of pan to use for this is a heavy cast aluminum dutch oven type pan--do not try to use stainless steel pans for this).
- 12Beans: In a medium saucepan put the can of beans, the tomato sauce, salt, Goya Sazon con Achiote, Goya Sofrito, garlic powder, and the cubed cooked potato.
- 13Place over medium low heat and cook stirring occasionally without a lid until it is thickened and hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.6
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 925.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: