2 hrs 30 mins
Stick to your ribs food
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 3 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 lb salt pork, chopped
- 3 lbs red kidney beans, picked over and rinsed in cool water
slap ya mama cajun seasoning
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the bacon drippings over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, bell peppers and celery and cook, stirring, until they are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and cook for three minutes. Add the ham, sausage and salt pork. Cook for five minutes.
- 4Add the beans and add enough shrimp or chicken broth to cover. Season with salt, cayenne and black pepper.
- 5Add the thyme, basil and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, partially covered, for about two hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beans are tender.
- 6Add more water or broth if the mixture becomes dry. If you like the beans to be creamy, puree about one-third of the beans in a food processor, in batches, and return to the pot.
- 7Cook for another 30 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Serve hot, garnished with green onions and parsley, over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.6
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 392.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.8 g