Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Stick to your ribs food
Make and share this Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, chopped
- 3 lbs red kidney beans, picked over and rinsed in cool water
slap ya mama cajun seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried basil
- 4 bay leaves
- chopped green onion (to garnish)
- chopped fresh parsley leaves (to garnish)
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the bacon drippings over medium heat.
- Add the onions, bell peppers and celery and cook, stirring, until they are lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for three minutes. Add the ham, sausage and salt pork. Cook for five minutes.
- Add the beans and add enough shrimp or chicken broth to cover. Season with salt, cayenne and black pepper.
- Add the thyme, basil and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, partially covered, for about two hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beans are tender.
- Add more water or broth if the mixture becomes dry. If you like the beans to be creamy, puree about one-third of the beans in a food processor, in batches, and return to the pot.
- Cook for another 30 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Serve hot, garnished with green onions and parsley, over rice.