Prep 1 min
Cook 1 hr
my family loves this
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked lean ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts water
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large dutch oven.
- Cover with water 2 inches above beans.
- Let soak 8 hours.
- Drain well.
- Coat a dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Place over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add celery, green pepper and garlic.
- Saute until tender.
- Add beans, ham and remaining ingredients; except rice.
- Cook uncovered, over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve bean mixture over rice.
- 9 servings - 1 cup beans and 1/2 cup rice.
- I have had good luck with this adding pepperoni along with the ham.