Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Old family favorite.
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancajun stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- In a large Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- **Weserve this over hot cooked rice.
I cooked this soup tonight and the whole family thought it was great. It couldn't have been any easier to put together and the taste was fantastic! I couldn't find any cajun tomatoes, so I used tomatoes with chilies and added some cajun seasoning. This is one that will definitely go in my favorites.
I made this for supper last night. It was absolutely delicious. Hearty ham and bean flavor with the zest of the cajun tomatoes and spices. I did as you suggested and served over rice and with your sour cream corn bread. My husband and I were totally thrilled with this yummy southern fare. Thanks Nurse Di.
We thought this was delicious and so simple to make, didn't even have to chop onions. I did add a cup of smoked sausage because I didn't have enough ham. I also like a variety of beans so I used red, black, and white beans. I didn't have cajun stewed tomatoes, so just used the original recipe and I did have to add more liquid, it all was still great. Tried it as is and also over rice, liked it both ways. This was so good on a day we were painting the house and didn't have time to cook. Thanks!