1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Bill Hilbrich's Note:
This might be considered a Chili, but the balance is very high in favor of vegetables, and the dish could be made without any meat at all. I normally grind stew meat in a food processor to reduce it to about a grind twice as big as hamburger grains. This recipe can also be made in a crockpot over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef (ground to about twice the size of hamburger)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup celery leaves, fine dice
- 1 (1 lb) can kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (or at least peeled)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons green chili salsa (I like Mrs. Renfroe's)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Heat the olive oil and butter in the bottom of a heavy pan until melted.
- 2Add the onion and saute until transparent.
- 3Then remove with a slotted spoon.
- 4Add ground beef to the pan and fry until brown.
- 5Add onions and the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat until the tomatoes start to break down.
- 6Taste and adjust seasonings.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red and Green Stew
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.6
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 1747.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 36.1 g