Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This might be considered a Chili, but the balance is very high in favor of vegetables, and the dish could be made without any meat at all. I normally grind stew meat in a food processor to reduce it to about a grind twice as big as hamburger grains. This recipe can also be made in a crockpot over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- 1 lb beef (ground to about twice the size of hamburger)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, fine dice
- 1 (1 lb) can kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes (or at least peeled)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons green chili salsa (I like Mrs. Renfroe's)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the olive oil and butter in the bottom of a heavy pan until melted.
- Add the onion and saute until transparent.
- Then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add ground beef to the pan and fry until brown.
- Add onions and the rest of the ingredients and simmer over low heat until the tomatoes start to break down.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.