Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe has been passed down to me from my southern family and I have altered it a bit to make it my own. My family loves these in the summer!
- 5 -6 large green tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash tomato basil garlic seasoning
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in shallow dish. Save 1/2 teaspoon of salt for taste at end.
- Beat eggs and water together.
- Add oil to frying pan to medium heat.
- Coat tomatoes with egg wash.
- Then coat in flour and spice mixture.
- Add to hot oil. Cook until golden brown. Edges will turn golden first so check after about 2 minutes, then turn over and cook other side.
- Remove from oil to a pan with layers of paper towel for drainage.
- Salt immediately.
- Serve with any southern dinner or on their own. Great snack.