Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I tried some vegan cooking when my niece was visiting and this hot sandwich went over well. Even the omnivores liked them so its a good option for mixed groups.
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans (regular re-fried beans have lard)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers or 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced (6-8-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup Baby Spinach
- sliced tomatoes (optional)
- olive oil (for frying)
- 2 hoagie rolls (12-inch)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Heat the re-fried beans and reserve until vegetables are ready.
- Split hoagie buns if necessary and toast under broiler if desired.
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in heavy skillet.
- Saute onions until half-cooked.
- Add green peppers, jalapenos, and zucchini and continue sauteing until the vegetables are half-cooked. Adjust heat if necessary -- you want a gentle browning without sogginess.
- Add mushrooms and seasonings. Continue to cook until all vegetables are softened and lightly browned but not mushy.
- Spread re fried beans on hoagie buns. Top with vegetable mix. Top that with cheese (or vegan cheese substitute).
- Put in 450 oven or under broiler briefly to melt cheese.
- Add olives, lettuce, spinach, and tomato then cut into 6-inch serving pieces.